Wednesday 9 September 2009

Triple Crown and the Devil o the Highlands 2008




Well the Highland fling went to plan even though I was not 100%

The West highland Way did not go to plan as I was injured for the best part of five weeks before hand although I still loved every bit of it.

i knew i could do better , so that just left the Devil to get a good run in on the way.Now a lot of folks started off the year wanting to compete all three but not many managed it I don’t know the stats but I am sure someone will work it out, so I was very happy to make it to the start line of the third race in the underground series that is know as the Triple Crown.

Headed up to Fort William on Friday and got to hotel met up with Karen and UltraCat, chilled for a bit then we went out to dinner, If you run these events there is only one pub to go to and that’s the Grog and Gruel nice evening their stopped at 2 pints of Guinness very sensible.

Early start and hours drive saw us in Tyndrum apologies to UC for driving her car faster than she thought it could go.Checked in and met loads of folks really hyped up now and ready for the off, Final hugs on the start line and the whistle went before I knew it and we were away.

I had decided on gore trail shorts gore short sleeve half zip and Inov8 Roclites never changed all day perfect combination for the weather we had.Ran comfortable into Bridge of Orchy was happy to see that my support crew had arrived and had collected my boxes from UC I had made up Hammer nutrition Perpetuem into a paste with a gel each bottle gave me 300Kals 65 Gram Carbs 16 grams protein per hour I changed bottle at each check point also had a slice of soreen cake.First check point 15 seconds max.

Up the hill out of Bridge of Orchy really had to hold my self in check but managed to resist the urge to run and did a fast walk to the top, ran well down the other side to meet crew at Inverannon 30 second stop and off again.Ran up towards Rannoch moor with pals Keith and Jimmy nice chat about their plans for MDS we ran well together walked all the ups ran the flats and the down, A lot of runners had gone off to fast and hear on the moor also some runners started to come by us on the hills and we would catch then on the downs, I knew that we would start to reel some of those runners back in.

Got to the top of Rannoch moor felt great still had not run any up hills and decided that when I came over the top would just let the down hill take me, I have run this section perhaps 5 times this year and knew I could go down fast, Garmin shows I hit 6:30 pace at one point here with an average of 7:30 passed a couple of runners who looked like they were standing still, ran fast into check point knowing I would have some recovery time. Muller rice and bladder top up and off longer stop perhaps 90 seconds.

I never saw any of the group behind again, none was in when I left checkpoint.Nice run to the bottom of the staircase grabbed a bottle of lift off and a banana and headed up never stopped and kept a good pace.Over the top and just let fly past I think 5 runners on this section again hitting 7:30 pace on the steeper descents very sure footed my training paying off.

Ran strongly into Kinlochleven I felt 100% and was still holding back on the hills.Quick stop this one in and out and started up the hill passed my pal Alex three quarters of the way up I had him down for first super vet so was surprised when I saw him brief chat and he told me to crack on, got to the top and thought ok half marathon to go time to take the brakes off, I still walked the bigger hills but ran all the smaller ones and started to work the pace, it took a while to catch each runner but think I got 4 in this section passed pal James who did not hear or see me coming and was surprised he said no one had passed him all day.

Ran well into Lundarva and surprised crew, quick stop and away again, tried to push on running everything I could and only walking when I just could not run up the steeper hills. Passed I think 2 runners or perhaps only 1 cant remember, Their was a diversion which I did not like it was the first time all day I did not know exactly where I was but it was over soon and I was out of the woods and onto the forest trail around three miles to go these were done at around 8min miles just hammered them went through brave heart car park unable to do more than raise an arm at my crew and hit the road at a flat out run.

I think I started my sprint just a tad early by the time I saw the 30mph sign I was almost done slowed for perhaps 10 seconds then went again crossed the line a very happy chap in 7 hours 34 mins 52 seconds.Big hugs from crew I was chuffed to bits all had gone to plan, no wall no stomach problems full of running all the way.

Headed up to Nevis centre and got showered and had some food went back and watched more runners come in and checked up on Karen and other friends still running, back to leisure centre to receive trophy for first super vet then back to Brave Heart car park to see Karen and UltraCat run through looking strong, Dario on her tail and gaining, with UltraCats encouragement Karen picked it up again and kept him behind her to finish strongly in her first Ultra we were all bouncing.

Needs must and so a visit back to the Grog and Gruel for food and this time more than just 2 pints were drunk meet loads of runners a great night.Next morning active recovery was had in the leisure facilities at 7am for sauna, steam room, which was the best ever and swim, really eased the muscles, then on to a full fry up.It was the best of weekends with the best of friend’s happy days.

This morning I got an email prequalification invitation to enter the 2009 west highland way paid my cash job done bring on next years triple crown.




No comments:

Post a Comment