Thursday 24 September 2009

Ultra Sensitive Dod

Running ten miles in the VFF KSOs last night hurt.

So what's going on I ran a ten-mile loop 1-mile road 1 mile rough track with gravel then 6 miles trail then back down the gravel and road. Last time I did this route was before UTMB and was in the VFF classics and everything felt good. Last night I felt every little rock and stone.

I found the following statement on a Barefoot running site


Quote

Our feet need to feel the ground so we can walk and run naturally. When we block this sensation by wearing shoes, our feet try even more to feel the ground. We develop an ultra sensitivity in our soles. After years of being blocked, we remove the shoes, and our feet are over stimulated. And we think, how did we possibly run around and play barefoot when we were kids?

So Perhaps my feet are going through a sensitive period before they toughen up a bit.

I have been living barefoot as much as possible and wearing minimal footwear so I think they are going through a period of adjustment.

Here is the list of what I am trying to achieve while running.

· Weight on ball of foot, or flat footed (on rougher surfaces or at slowspeeds)
· Let heel down gently· Bent ankles
· Lean forward from ankles (not waist)
· Bent knees· Hips under body
· Torso vertical
· Lift foot
· Swing left arm with right leg
· Allow torso to twist
· Swing right arm with left leg
· Elbows approximately right angles

And you though running was just a case of putting one foot in front of another.

1 comment: