Wednesday 9 September 2009

West Highland Way race 2008 part 5


Staircase to Kinlochleven

Within 100 metres of the start their was the 2 runners one was the chap who was part of the English couple I had run along the loch with he was in a bad way I tried to encourage him by saying that once you got to the next check point that it was only a half marathon to the end but I don’t think it helped 20 mins later we saw the ambulance pick him up his race over.

We went up the staircase in good time only 2 x 20 second breaks and on we went it felt good then we turned down the other side the downhill’s were getting hard, At some point here we figured that we had 18 miles to go and 4 hours to break the 24 hours how hard could it be in the end the final 18 miles took 7 hours a hard slog for both me and the A team, the downhill to Kinlochleven is brutal at the best of times I think Simon and Ewan were both surprised how steep this was although I know Simon would have charged down it on his own but he stuck with me every step of the way it seemed a long run into Kinlochleven.

Now for some reason I can never remember where the path goes in Kinlochleven perhaps because the first time I ever ran the route I missed the path so I got a bit of a panic on when we reached town and their was no sign of the girls or Steve or the path I sent Ewan on to find the path and Simon tried to stop me from freaking out finally we could hear and then see Lizzy and Andrinne jumping and waving it was a good scene.We trotted into the weight station and their was the man himself Dario race director and all round good guy we had a quick chat and it took me a second to realise that it was Ultracat who was their also talking to me more Hugs loved it.Ultracat said I had to come back in to check out but I said I was keeping going so checked out had a quick drink of Lift Off now I am not sure when I started drinking this stuff but by this time in the race I was addicted and also to power bars they were working so that’s what I wanted I threw then down and ran on with Lizzy not even waiting for Andrinne but she quickly caught us up.

Kinlochleven To Lundavra

I wanted to get up onto the moor before it got dark and we only had one 20 second break on the climb and made good time and passed I think Fiona at the top and ran on after a few miles we needed the head torches and we slowed and we slowed and we slowed game over good night thank you,I new that I would finish once I reached Kinlochleven their was never a dough in my mind and that resolve never wavered I knew that every step was a step closer I also knew that now the time did not matter a finish I would have if I had to crawl I knew it would be inside the cut-off and that’s all that mattered, I decided that I would just keep me head down and go.Now here is a tip if you ever run in the pitch black and are very very tired make sure your support crew were fluorescent leggings and shoes what a boost this is it was amazing how much light they gave off when hit with head torch.You hear a lot about people losing it hallucinating and speaking rubbish so when I started to see white spots in front of my eyes I was very concerned and also scared to say anything but eventually I thought I had to say of course the answer came back its raining George what a dum ass.

Andrinne and Lizzy pulled me through that section one step at a time I knew Lizzy was terrified it was pitch black the wind was howling the rain got heavier and heavier and I also knew I was the only one who had any idea where we were.We plodded on rocks turned into sheep and sheep turned into rocks but apart from that all was ok until I started to see lights but they were in the wrong place way over to the left we were on the wrong road. I told the girls we have missed split in the road we are going the wrong way they ran back a ways to have a look but they told me latter they had no idea what to do and they came back and we plodded on.Eventually we could see lights in front and Andrinne sprinted off to see if we were in the right place she had ran about 30 miles and went off like she was in a 10K, Lizzy took my arm to help me she was holding on tight what courage she showed running along with her worst fears I will not every forget how brave she was.

We reached the bonfire and the rest of the A team.The marshal said a you’re the guy in shorts your giving up here Not me mate I said no chance and headed for the van, I could not feel my legs and needed my leggings and water proofs on at this point, I am not sure who put them on but we got sorted had another Lift off and a viper bar thanked Steve and Lizzy and off Simon Ewan Andrinne and I plodded onto the last section.


No comments:

Post a Comment