Wednesday 9 September 2009

West Highland Way Race 2008 part 3



Rowardennen to InversnaidI had at first counted this section Rowardennan to Beinglass but once I broke it into sections I found that I quite liked the section to Inversnaid its very like my home training routes I ran well hear meeting up with an English couple running together we would swap places all the way to the Devils stair case.

I ran into Inversnaid within 10 seconds of my schedule but I knew I was working hard and that my least favourite section was in front of me.I ate my Pizza and had an extra gel loaded up my water and headed out met up with Andy here and again we would swap places for quite a few miles.

Inversnaid to BeinglasInto Beinglas is hard work a lot of rock climbing and scrambling loads of bits you just cant run, the midges were really bad and I was covered from head to foot many folks were in tights and long tops but I was in shorts and short sleeve and every area of my skin was black they were in my eyes my mouth under my watch in my hair it was not good and I was very happy when Debbie and I finally pulled clear of the water Debbie gave a little cheer.I ran into Beinglass very happy to see part of the A team Simon and Lizzy for the first time since the start quick Muller rice and a drink and I was off, they were concerned for me I could tell and my spirits were low I was a bit grumpy here sorry guys.

Beinglas to Craigmile cottage.

This is a short but hilly section and I found my self walking a lot my race was over I was finished I was letting everyone down I had failed I was a loser and these were the positive thoughts, Blew a kiss to the pink lady at Derrydaroch and plodded on. When I reached the cottage I felt low and tried to eat had a little lie down had a bottle of Gatorade and a chocolate meal replacement drink too much on reflection and on I went.

Cottage to Auchtertyre

There are parts of this section which are really nice other parts which are horrible I managed to run parts of this section and it was hear I started to get texts from various folks Santa Baby, Tigger, Karen D, Ultracat my brother and some others sorry cant remember all who sent, I read them when slogging up hill and for the most part sent one word answers I was later to get a telling off from the A team for sending and receiving texts but at this point I was on a low and they really helped be assured I lost no time reading or sending themAll I could think about was getting to Auchtertyre farm and having my backed tattie and meeting the A team from here on I had support runners.

As I ran in I could see Steve the A team leader he walked me through the check points weight in picked up the backed tattie and on to support van.I found out here that Alex had to pull out I was devastated for him he is such a good runner and generous to a fault, it hit me how tough this race was.And then their was the A team Steve my main man with the plan, Simon ever dependable and a superb runner Ewan the Tigger who bounced his way through the next god knows how many miles.And the girls Andrinne who is a much better runner than she realises and Lizzy my English Brave heart who were always going to be the sensible heads that I would need to see me through.

The Backed tattie was a huge disappointment I am sure they were lovely but I could not eat it. Had another Muller rice and a drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment