Wednesday 9 September 2009

West Highland Way race 2008 part 4

Auchtertyre to Tyndrum.

It took a while to settle down I had run 51 miles the A team was fresh but as we approached Tyndrum things started to sort them selves out the main thing was I was running again. It’s a great boost when you meet friends on a race like this and there was Ultracat big hugs are great she proved to be a star all weekend.

Tyndrum to Bridge Of Orchy.

The motorway section of the route we ran this well at a good pace everyone started to know what a hill was and we got into a rhythm, as we got close their was Ultracat and Karen and hugs and trot on into check point now here is where I did one of the best things in the race and one of the biggest mistakes, I got behind the van stripped naked and had Steve pour water over me had a rub down reapplied the Vaseline and completely changed my clothes but I left my feet alone the right foot had a hot spot early on but it had passed so I decided not to mess but I should have changed my socks and shoes and applied more Vaseline here I will next time.

Bridge of Orchy to Victoria Bridge

I got up the climb really well and over the other side but the down hill was slow could not get up a good down hill pace at all but felt ok as we got close to the start of Rannoch moor.

Rannoch Moor to Black rock cottages

I ran this section with Andrinne and LizzyIt was for me where it all went wrong I had no energy left and could not get a pace going the Girls were awesome but no matter what they did they could not get me running it was the start of the decline the 5 weeks of injury were about to extract their pound of flesh, I have not and don’t plan to study my split times for a while anyway but this section took a long time and by the end of it the girls who had never met before knew each others life stories I had always known that this for me would be the hardest section because of the slight increase all the way but no real hills and the choice of support crew here was the right one.As we crested the corner and could see the cottages Tigger was a welcome site bouncing into view with boundless energy (bastard) it was a good feeling to get to the van.

Black Rock Cottage to Kings house

Here Andrinne limitless skills came to the fore and I had a massage that could not be beat while I ate made a big difference, it took both Simon and Ewan to lift me back up, as my knees did not bend.Off we trotted and ran into Kings house and their were the Bowman’s I had been looking forward to seeing Gus and Jeannie for hours and they did not disappoint I was very happy to see them, at this point I told Gus I was 1 hour 40 mins behind schedule but when we checked as we ran out I realised I was only 40 mins behind schedule this really lifted my spirits.

Kings house to Bottom of the staircase

Their were runners in front of us and the mission was on to catch them which we did it was a nice run and reached the staircase in good time had a quick stop and the too runners we had passed went on by.

No comments:

Post a Comment