Wednesday 9 September 2009

West Highland Way race 2008 part 6




Lundavra To Fort William

As I said earlier I have not looked at the splits but I can tell you I did very little running. It took a long long time head down and follow the man in front they all took turns running ahead and opening gates etc and took turns with talking with me hear Simon stayed behind me a long time and kept me moving forward its just what I needed again I was very aware that I was the only one who knew the way and was worried we would miss the turn but Ewan did a great job in the heavy wooded section and we never took a step wrong.

Here I got a stabbing pain in my left foot big toe I tried to ignore it but I could not a pine needle or similar was in their it had to come out.Ewan stepped up I had been running for 25/26 hours it was not a pleasant task thanks mate I owe you for that one, but after wards what ever it was gone and on we went and on we went and on went finally we saw signs for brave heart car park we were close Steve phoned and I told him where we were although it took ages to get their but then their was the Van with Simon and Lizzy I ran straight past and here Andrinne got into van also I am a bit hazy if Ewan got in van here or ran a bit then ran off but eventually it was just me and Simon who had been with me through some really hard patches and it was great to know we would soon be at the finish around here Fiona came storming past, I decided to let her go what difference would it make I reasoned I would rather get to the end and keep standing than get to the end and fall over.

And then their was Steve my main man who has supported me on a number of ultras in more ways than I can remember but has never run a step, he was in the road outside the leisure centre and he was warming up Simon and I broke into a trot we reached Steve and we ran together to the leisure centre I was so happy that Steve ran this section with me.

Into the leisure centre and the job was done 95 miles 15000 feet of climbing in 27 hours 15 mins.

After The RaceNow a lot happened in the next 24 hours and the next few days some is a bit of a blurAfter a great massage I tried to sleep but only dozed in the end it would be eleven at night before I got to sleep a total of 62 hours with 2 hours of a nap in between.I woke to find the pink lady was their and enjoyed a few moments then Gus and jean arrived and then it was time for breakfast we met Ultracat and had a feed at Morrison’s then on to the prize giving.

Now most prize giving its first second third first vet etc, but not here every runner who finished gets a small speech from Dario and is presented with their crystal goblet it is very special and emotional.To meet special friends on the way Karen, Ultracat, Gus, Jean and all the friends I ran with to get the text messages and support is fantastic.

My A team with Steve, Simon, Lizzy, Andrinne and Ewan what can I say you are the best friends a man could have I will never forget what you did for me and yes you can all join me next year when I will run Sub 24. Since 1991 only 427 individuals have completed this event, although some have done it a number of times on the all time list my time puts me at 267 on the list, must try harder.

Thank You All.




No comments:

Post a Comment