Wednesday 9 September 2009

West Highland Way race 2008 part 2

Beach tree to Drymen.

As I ran out through beach tree I could feel my quads tight this was not a good sign, I fell into step with Ellen and Stuart and Maya and we cruised all the way to Drymen but I was having to work to hard to keep the easy pace I new hear that it was not going to be my day it should have been easy and it was not.Ran into Drymen changed bottle and another slice of cake and headed straight on

Drymen to Balmaha

The run up through the woods was good I could go uphill with ease and caught my self a couple of times running when I should not, but for some reason the flats were hard.Up Conic hill I felt the first sign that I had not escaped the cold that everyone in the office had I was breathing much harder that I should have to, Debbie and I started swapping places here which would continue till Tyndrum.

Conic hill what can I say I have been training with the best and my teacher Gus would have been proud of me I went down Conic hill like a mountain goat on speed started well out wide to the right in the long grass 20 or 30 feet away from the path and just flew down the first section I could see folks looking across wondering where I was going, then as the hill turns to the left I cut straight across hill and way out to the left and ran straight down to the steps I passed quite a few runners here and it felt great into check point changed food bottle topped up water and had a Muller Rice and headed out.

Drymen to Rowardennan

I found this section hard on the fling because I had miscalculated how long it was so had changed my schedule to suit.My legs by this time were aching like I had done no training everything was heavy and I started to think It was not my day and that I was going to crash and burn it was just such hard work, after a couple of miles I found my self at the front of a small group I don’t think the others knew the way this gave me a boost and a ran strongly for 3 miles or so, I got to the the pink lady marshal check point and enjoyed a 5sec break before carrying on into the woods.The next section had a lot of campers and tents with the remains of late night drinking strewn everywhere at one point in the middle of the track I had to jump over a guitar it seemed a bit surreal.Passed second pink lady that with a friendly smile sent us up the hill I was still leading small group and got up in good time but legs were like lead.As we came into Rowardennan I was not at all happy I was soaked with sweat from the effort I had put in which for what was only 27 miles was not good I then heard Ian Beattie had pulled out and I thought if Ian can quit then so can I.

I found Steve and told him I was in a bad way he suggested a change of shirt which I did and to just carry on so changed out food supplies I think I ate something but cant remember what and headed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment